A piece of a wing that washed up on an Indian Ocean island beach last week was part of the wreckage of Malaysian Airlines flight MH370, Malaysia said on Thursday, confirming the discovery of the first trace of the plane since it vanished last year.
“Today, 515 days since the plane disappeared, it is with a heavy heart that I must tell you that an international team of experts have conclusively confirmed that the aircraft debris found on Reunion Island is indeed from MH370,” Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak Prime Minister Najib Razak said in an early morning televised address.
“I would like to assure all those affected by this tragedy that the government of Malaysia is committed to do everything within our means to find out the truth of what happened,” Najib said.
The announcement, by providing the first direct evidence that the plane crashed in the ocean, closes a chapter in one of the biggest mysteries in aviation history but still gives families of the 239 victims little clue as to why.
“It’s not the end,” said Jacquita Gonzales, who lost her husband Patrick Gomes, a flight attendant on board the aircraft. “Although they found something, you know, it’s not the end. They still need to find the whole plane and our spouses as well. We still want them back,” she said.
In China, many families of MH370 passengers struggled to accept Najib’s announcement, with one relative using the name TxiYY saying on Weibo that “after all our 515 days waiting failed to turn into a miracle”, and another called Fence2012 posting that “even tho the bad news have been all over the place, we still held onto the slim hope. Today the Malaysian side ended the families’ hope and expectation. Maybe this is the way to end the misery.”
The airline described the discovery as “a major breakthrough for us in resolving the disappearance of MH370.