Fire That Left Woman In Critical Condition Caused By Cooking, Officials Say

0

Wednesday morning in a Sandy Springs apartment fire.

“I heard someone say ‘Fire!’ And I came out and saw that it was completely engulfed in flames,” tenant Donovan King said.

The flames at the Avalon on Abernathy Apartments traveled fast.

“They told us that it was that brick wall that saved us,” fire victim Kaylee King said.

The flames and smoke were so intense a woman jumped from her third-floor apartment to escape.

“Fire was coming out the window she was leaning out of, so it was either jump or a much worse alternative,” Donovan King said.

The woman is in critical condition at Grady Memorial Hospital.

“She was on a backboard, she was speaking and conscious, but fully braced as they took her up the hill,” Donovan King said.

Fire officials said that the fire was caused by cooking.

“The apartment dweller had left something on the stove. (He) turned his head for a few minutes and the next thing he knew, he had a large fire going,” Sandy Springs Fire Chief Mark Duke said.

Twenty people have been displaced by the fire.

“I’d rather lose all my stuff than my life or my husband’s life,” tenant Samantha Easley said.

The Red Cross is assisting the victims.

(Source)

About author

No comments